Everything You Need To Know About Camper Trailer Insurance!
Summer is coming and, in the middle of a pandemic, people are starting to ask, “what can we do for fun this summer?”. Well, a lot of our Mackay Insurance clients have actually been purchasing trailers and going camping!
If you want to jump on the camper bandwagon, here’s some things you need to know!
What are the different types of trailers that you can purchase?
- The first type is simply a small, tent trailer.
- The second is a fifth wheel trailer.
- The third is a hardtop trailer.
- And the fourth is a stationary trailer - almost like a cottager.
Trailer Insurance Needs
It’s important to note that each of these trailers has their own specific insurance needs, and you need to be aware of them before purchasing!
For example, if you have a stationary trailer, you need to add the liability right onto your home policy.
You also need to make sure that you are checking the accurate value of your trailer! During the pandemic there have been increases in all sorts of recreational toys and they've retained their value. So, certain trailers were worth a certain amount around 5 years ago and today are worth even more!
Stationary Trailer Additions
Another thing that folks tend to forget about a stationary camping trailer is additions. If you add a sunroom or deck to a stationary trailer, you need to advise us of that right away. Why? Because it can hugely impact the value of your trailer - something your Mackay Insurance broker needs to know in order to prepare your trailer insurance policy correctly.
Trailer Safety Tips To Keep In Mind This Summer!
If you are planning on using your trailer to go camping this summer, here are a few more safety tips to keep in mind!
- Don't bring combustible materials inside! Making sure that you're not going to have flammable materials inside the trailer is so important.
- Next, don't smoke in bed or use open flames, as this can increase risk.
- Exercise care with matches. Make sure you're far enough away from your trailer so that it doesn't spark and light your unit on fire.
- Lastly, don't leave cooking food unattended and keep all cooking surfaces clean - especially when you're out in one of the Ontario Provincial Parks! You may get some unwanted visitors.
Mackay Insurance wishes you all safety and all the best as you look forward to camping this summer!
Do you have questions regarding your trailer insurance package? Contact our Mackay Insurance brokers in Belleville and Napanee!